Monday, November 12, 2007

Pink Bunny Slippers

Here's our pattern for bunny slippers, cobbled together from various sources and modifications. These make a very quick and easy weekend project.

Yarn & notions
  • 2 skeins worsted-weight yarn [main color] I used Nashua Handknits Creative Focus Superwash. You'll only need one skein's worth, but you'll hold the yarn double throughout.
  • Scrap yarn for the tail, nose, and eyes if desired. Button eyes would also be fine.
  • US #9 needles
  • Darning needle
  • Scissors
Yarn is held double throughout pattern.

Body & toe
Cast on 29 sts
Row 1 and all odd rows (RS): K across
Row 2 and all even rows (WS): K9, P1, K9, P1, K9
Repeat rows 1 & 2 for approx. 22 ridges (for an average woman's foot) or until slipper is 2.5" shorter than desired finished size. Finish an odd row (RS)
Change to K1, P1 ribbing to begin toe.
Continue in rib for 2". Finish an even row (WS).

End of toe
Row 1: (RS) Work rib for 7 sts, SSK, K, K2tog, work 5 sts in rib, K2tog, K, SSK, work last 7 sts in rib.
Row 2: Work rib for 7 sts, P3, work 5 sts in rib, P3, work last 7 sts in rib.
Row 3: Work rib for 6 sts, SSK, K, K2tog, work 3 sts in rib, K2tog, K, SSK, work last 6 sts in rib.
Break yarn, leaving enough yarn to draw end through all stitches and sew the ribbed portion together.

Ears (x4)
Cast on 6 sts. Leave a rather long tail for sewing the ears onto the body
Row 1 and all odd rows (will be outside of ear): K across
Row 2 and all even rows (will be inside of ear): K1, P4, K1
Repeat rows 1&2 for approximately 2" or until ears are almost desired length.
Next row (odd): K2tog, K2, K2tog
Next row (even): K1, P2, K1
Next row (odd): K2tog twice
Break yarn and pull through remaining stitches. Secure end.

Finishing
Fold cast-on edge in half and sew edges together for back of heel. Fold ribbed toe portion in half and sew together. Sew the ears onto the juncture between the slipper body & ribbed heel. I added a pompom tail and embroidered eyes & nose, but you could do whatever you like.

5 comments:

ames said...

omg so cute! What size do these make?

Bridget Samuels said...

They'll make any size you need. As mentioned in the pattern, go about 22 ridges in the garter stitch portion for an average woman's foot (size 7-8ish). They're stretchy, too.

Anonymous said...

Hye I really like the slippers and your scarves in particular.. Im interested in getting into knitting and crocheting myself and I was wondering in your experience is it that hard to learn? I'm not that skilled with my hands at say paitning or drawing but I think I can be good at knitting once I get started. Any suggestions on how/where to start? And how long did it take you to get the hang of it? Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hey so can you answer my question? Thanks...

Anonymous said...

No, it's not hard at all. My aunt tried to teach me crocheting, and I hated it. I later picked up on knitting and it made sense to me. Some people do both well, some people like me have a preference.
I would suggest Debbie Stoller's "Stitch 'n' Bitch" as a great book to learn knitting. The illustrations are fabulous, and it has alot of really easy projects to get you started, along with some harder projects to flex your muscles on.
Good luck with it!